In the last decades of the 19th and in the beginning of the 20th century the Orthodoxy became very popular. The Czarist government supported it and financed the construction of orthodox churches, the church complex in Sasmaka village was among them. From 1884 to 1889 243 Latvian members of Lutheran congregation turned to Orthodox Church. The boulder masonry church decorated with red bricks was built from 1889 to 1890, it was constructed on the expenses of the congregation and with the support of the former Russian Synod.
In 1965 the church was remade according to the needs of a club. About 1970 the cinema “Elektra” was located in the building, it was closed in the beginning of 1990s.
In the second part of the 1990s the Orthodox Synod of Latvia regained the immovable of the Valdemārpils Orthodox church. This building gives the shelter also to the Adventist and Pentecost congregations
57°22'29.698"N 22°35'30.696"E / 57.374916 22.591860