The first evidences about the synagogue in the Sasmaka village are found in the travelling notes of Ulrich von Schlippenbach that were published in 1807 in magazine “Rutēnija”. It is possible that the present masonry synagogue was built about 1830s.
The synagogue complex interrupted its cult object activities in July 1941. First it become a place where the belongings of the killed inhabitants were stored, during the Soviet times it was used for gathering recyclables and as a place where fruit and berries were purchased.
In 1990 the Jewish community of Latvia regained the ownership of the synagogue complex. At present the building of synagogue is a private property.
57°22'12.148"N 22°35'33.828"E / 57.370041 22.592730
- The Home of the Family of Krišjānis Valdemārs
- Valdemārpils Evalngelical Lutheran Church
- Lime-trees Planted by Krišjānis Valdemārs
- Sasmakas (Valdemārpils) Idol Lime-Tree
- Swimming Area by the Lake Sasmaka
- St John Baptist Valdemārpils Ortodox church
- Rope Course in Valdemārpils
- Valdemārpils Synagogue
- Monument for Krišjānis Valdemārs