The District Museum of Talsi is situated in the one of the most beautiful and historically significant buildings of the town.
It was built in the neoclassicism style on the highest hill of the town, Tiguļu Hill, at the end of the 19 century, and initially it was the city residence of Baron von Fircks named Villa Hochheim. Expositions and exhibitions, which are located in the the historical building, demonstrate historically valuable artefacts of the region while exhibitions of the contemporary art can be seen in the hall of the museum collection building. The museum is surrounded by a dendrological park with more than 300 species of tree established as early as in times of Baron.
Following expositions can be seen in the museum:
The collection of Curronian archaeological artefacts and ancient history of the region
Ethnographic artefacts illustrating the Latvian lifestyle at the end of the 19th century
History of the town of Talsi and the 1905 revolution
History and founders of the museum T. Dzintarkalns and A. Dreimanis
Establishment of the Latvian state and manifestations of the national style
Protected natural areas in the Talsi region, wild plant and animal species therein
Two art exhibitions can be seen each month.
The museum offers:
attractive and educational activities for students, families and adults
excursions to the territory of the museum, park and the district of Talsi
a program for newlyweds
lease of premises for festivals and conferences
In the spring of 2006, the new building for museum collections with an exhibition hall, therefore two contemporary art exhibitions can be seen every moth - one exhibition is set up in the old building, the other one - in the new building.
* Tuesday - Sunday: 10:00 - 17:00
* Monday - closed
Entrance fee 0.40-2.00 €
Services and special offers
The museum offers various educational programs for students. The program for “Newlyweds together with the best man and the maid of honour and guests” is provided for adults.
Offers for groups
Guided tours of the museum and park, the town and district of Talsi in Latvian and foreign languages, lectures and educational entertainment programs.
57°14'32.795"N 22°36'10.638"E / 57.242443 22.602955
+371 63222770, 29102628
- Tiguļu kalns (Tiguļu hill)
- Excursion "Talsi with a backpack!"
- Talsi Hockey Hall
- The Promenade of the Lake Talsi
- Monument for revolution from 1905-1907
- Monument "Koklētājs"
- Talsi synagogue
- Sauleskalns (Sun hill)
- Midsummer celebration in Talsi
- Latvian Agriculture Museum
- "Pakalnu pogas" Recreation centre
- Galerija Art
- Market Dižmāra
- Life circle in shadow of death
- Mill hill
- Baznīckalns (Church hill)
- Talsi Cultural Center and Creative Yard
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Talsi Roman Catholic Church
- Talsi Hillfort
- Talsi Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Talsi Baptist Church
- On Bicycle Routes in Nature Park Talsi Hollocks and Surroundings
- Talsi town map. Walking routs
- Cross-country Skiing in Talsi Hillock
- Pottery Workshop “Ciparnīca”