kalns (Leču hill) is located near the Talsi
gymnasium. The land that was once owned by baron of Pastende was
skillfully managed in the beginning of 20th century by
owner of "Leči" house. The fields always gave good harvest despite
the waywardness of weather.
The hill witnessed tears and blood on November 1906. Down by the pond is the place where 6 revolutionists were shot. In autumn 1980 a monument by sculptor Olita Nigule was unveiled on the Leču hill in remembrance of 1905 - 1907 revolution. The monument has an inscription from a poem "Talsu tiesa" /Talsi' judgment/ written by Rainis.
In mid-1930ies the inhabitants of Talsi decided to make this place a memorial site for freedom fighters of Latvia by unveiling the monument "Koklētājs" by Kārlis Zemdega. However the 2nd World War intruded this intention. Where Brīvības, Saules, Stendes and Blumbaha streets meet there is a part of "Soda priede" /Punishment pine/ trunk that witnessed the bloody events of January 1906 when 5 participators of Talsi armed upstanding were shot.
Opposite to "Soda priede" the Talsi town coat of arms can be seen - a symbol of nine hills, hospitality and friendship. On Egļu street where "Kurzemes sēklas" Ltd is located one can regale his eyes with the gorgeous collection of plants.
57°14'29.238"N 22°35'28.806"E / 57.241455 22.591335